Monday, October 11, 2004

Introduction to Digitization

This is a basic 3 -week course on digitization which has been presented as an online course using Webct. A one-day hands-on workshop will happen later in the next couple of weeks. The technical aspects of digitization have been demystified. We had to work out a possible project after learning about criteria for selection etc and then virtually purchase equipment with a virtual budget ... I thought that Tanya's collection of Fore Edge paintings would be an excellent choice - a unique collection and something different! So that is my digitization project - something different. But maybe digitizing the collection of fore edge paintings could become a real project for UCT Libraries.

Working on Webct is difficult especially with the amount of reading that we need to do -- there are several pdf documents to read and assignments/quizzes every second day. I'm not sure that I like working online like that -- my inclination would be to print off the documents so that I can read them at my leisure and page back and forth easily... but the documents are large and would cost a lot to print off!

No comments: